Monday, June 07, 2010

A Good Deed

Last night I became a recipient of a good deed from a stranger. I had no extra money to give as tip to the Taxi driver of plate number TWT816, so now I vow to pay it forward to another stranger.

I won't be telling what good deed I would be paying forward to someone else because it will cease to be a good deed.

I am just going to share the experience as it made me feel good and hope that it will encourage you to still believe in the goodness of everyone, no matter how small the value, or how irrelevant it may seem.

A good deed is a good deed worthy to be mentioned and acknowledged.

I have had this cough for almost a month now, and it is becoming productive, and the bad relapse of my sinusitis make my breathing hard. My doctor prescribed some over the counter medicines as this may be astmatic bronchitis. Worried it may worsen before my departure to India or that it may indeed become worse in India because of the change in temperature, I used the last of my pocket money (after giving my share of the bills) to buy the medicines that I have to take for a week.

My roommate and I went to the mall to pay the bills, withdrew the last of my savings, and bought the meds. The total cost was 729.50 php. This was not part of my budget, but I thought that if I could buy a pack of cigarettes a day, that is just 3 weeks of smoking money, and it is now taking its toll on me. We passed by the supermarket then took the taxi back to the apartment. Stopping near the gate I gave the driver 500 pesos bill and he quickly returned the exact change of 450 pesos. I said my usual "salamat po" and then alighted.

We prepared for dinner and chatted away. Later on at dinner, I have realized my meds were not with me and that I must have left them in the taxi. I felt bad because I really do not have the extra money to buy again as I have to save what little money I have for my fare to attend the training for my voluntary service overseas assignment.

What can one do under the circumstance but sleep things off. As I prepared to go to bed, Barrister my dog was barking loudly which usually means the irritating sound of the buzzer at the gate. My roommate went down to check. She returned with my meds. Apparently, the taxi driver asked those manning the water station near the gate to locate us so he could return the medicines dahil baka kailangan. He returned and went out of his way to give me back my medicines.

I felt undeserving of the good deed because I must have acquired this bad cough and cold from smoking and living an unhealthy lifestyle anyway, and I did not even give him a tip. But it made me feel good about myself somehow thinking that I must have done something right as well to deserve the kindness. I was not able to thank him personally so I vow to pay it forward, and maybe, just maybe, I must consider it a sign to quit smoking.

But then, this is not about me, this is dedicated to Manong Driver of the Taxi with plate number TWT816, maraming salamat po at sana makasakay uli ako sa inyo para kayo ay mapasalamatan.

No comments:

Post a Comment