Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Do (post valentine repost)

Relationships are about taking a leap of faith. Is that why it is also called jumping off?

Yesterday I had the chance to chat and have sugarless coffee with Uncle and Auntie, my landlord and landlady for the next 6 months of my stay here in India. They are such a lovely couple that I had a wishful thinking to add the kind of relationship they have in my wish list.

They showed me pictures of the places they have been around the world, telling me how they have managed to save up to spend for their retirement to lavish the beauty of the places they wanted to see.

As I browsed through the albums of photos from films which they have taken from their instamatic camera (which by the way they refuse to throw away in exchange for a digital one because they said it still serves its purpose), I have noticed Auntie beautifully photographed that I had to ask who took the photos. It was Uncle who took her beautiful photographs that showed her best assets. He brings out the best in her, even on rolls of films.

I wondered if theirs was a love or an arranged marriage.

I dared not to ask.

I did not have to because as I chatted the afternoon away with them, I knew then that it did not matter how it all started. Whether it was love at first, love marriage, or an arranged marriage, because in the end what matters the most is how they have managed to make the marriage work to still end up being together after all these years.

I left them with a smile in my heart knowing something can still go right.

Later in the evening I have received a facebook message from a dear friend about finally getting a divorce. I was shocked to have found out that this was what she wanted, but who am I to make my judgments. Still, I am glad to know that she is finally happy and free from the problems that almost brought her to rock bottom.

Today, I got the chance to look at photos of two dear friends from law school who finally made it to saying "I do". Exhibit 1 is out and they finally got hitched. The journey was quite dramatic, having canceled the wedding at the last minute the last time they had planned this wedding, but I have never doubted they would still end up together. Now this one is a classic. True love waits.

Now I wonder what does it take to make that commitment when you say "I do"? How far will you go for that commitment?

I guess the answers will just make things even more complicated than it seems. Maybe, just maybe, the key is to just seize the moment, live for the moment, and be happy while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment