Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dreaming of a Tenzing Norgay



“There could be an Everest at every turn, every day; that's why we need a Tenzing Norgay. Edmund Hillary made it because he had Norgay.”

A friend of mine wrote me this message upon seeing the photos I took of Tenzing Norgay’s memorial cremation site.

I too took a moment and contemplated on the possibilities of Everest at every turn in every day, and imagined what it would be like to have a Tenzing Norgay to be with me every step of the way.

I onced dived with scuba in my back 35 feet under water in an island off Tawi-Tawi Beach, and I would not have made it without my dive buddy holding my hand giving me the ok sign at every turn. I was freezing not having worn a wet suit for the dive, but it felt wonderful because my dive buddy never let me go.

It must have been that way for Edmund Hillary having Tenzing Norgay with him, or the other way around.

It is not at all a bad idea to dream of a Tenzing Norgay, and I suppose reaching the summit is even lovelier when you share it with someone.

I too am dreaming of having a Tenzing Norgay at every turn
there is an Everest, but I am also accepting the fact that some Everest(s) are still worth climbing alone.

After all, in the end there can only be one room for me in my resting ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment