Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Point and Shoot

Part of my work is to take photos. I not only take photos for keepsake, but I take photos to tell a story. I am not a professional photographer,I just point and shoot, but I take pride in what I do. It is not just about the camera,mostly it is about the eyes that sees through the viewfinder. My eyes are the pen, the camera would be the paper, the photos are my stories.

I used to have a friendster account and I have posted there most of my photos of Tawi-Tawi back in the days when I was still with WWF-Philippines. Most of my photos were literally stolen. Irresponsible tagging without properly acknowledging the author, the person who took the photograph. Working for the Information and Education Campaigns of the Coastal Resources and Fisheries Conservation Project of WWF-Philippines, I have learned basic ethics in photography.

1. Respect for the subjects of the photograph.

2. Acknowledge the subjects of the photograph.

3. Acknowledge the craft by acknowledging the owner of the photograph.


There are at least two basic no-no's in photography;

1. Passing Off, which is a misrepresentation or taking advantage of the work of another by passing it off as one's own; and

2. Plagiarism, which is basically basing an image on the work of another without reworking, or using text authored by someone else without giving credit.

So for all those who want to have my photographs, I would not mind giving them to you if it would mean more people seeing what I have seen in these photographs, but please do give credit when due.

Tawi-Tawi is indeed a beautiful place and you can have some of my photos on your facebook wall, but acknowledgment would not hurt, would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment