Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Point of View

Sometimes late at night, when it’s too quiet to pretend, I worry if I believe in anything at all or at least in anything beautiful.

I believe in change because it is permanent.
I believe in pain because it is sometimes physical.
I believe in anger because it can consume you.
I believe in friends because it’s not fun to have a good time alone.
I believe in dreams because it makes you go on even when it falters the very essence of living for the moment.
But I am not sure I can believe in either love or trust.
I could not understand these two things that most people build their dreams on.

Love fails to be unconditional by that one condition itself. It ends when we fall out of it. Then, we claim it never was love. But love shouldn’t die. It is forever. But when it becomes a routine (like saying "I love you" for instance), love does die. When love turns selfish, confusing and burdensome, it isn’t beautiful anymore.

As for trust, it was self-explanatory until I doubted it. When curiosity gives way to suspicion, betrayal isn’t far behind. For every failed judgment we ask ourselves: "Did I trust too little or too much?". It is difficult to keep mum and not ask every question so as not to break the trust, only to realize too late that something you could have known had you only asked. Where does love and trust start and end?

I have seen people disappointed over unfulfilling relationships. I have seen passion turn into poison. I have grieved with them for the love they lost or never found. We seem to love so much, and yet we feel something is lacking.

I think all people have at one point in their lives experienced the painful realization of a love unrequited. Even with all the discouragement, even with all the well-intentioned advice from friends, falling in love is a no-going-back event. Unfortunately, time can’t be reversed.

Now, falling in love in itself is doubted by people around you. They cannot feel the warmth that consumes you. They cannot ache with the turbulent and confusing anxiety and joy that grip you. They do not know that mental stress you experience trying to rationalize your emotions. They cannot believe that you do not want to be in love with a person who doesn’t love you back.

Oftentimes, people in love are painted as puppies following their loved ones at a distance and enjoying it. Oftentimes, people in love are misunderstood. Who can enjoy running around with your heart on your sleeve? It’s like trying to cross a tightrope and always falling into jagged cliffs because you are nervous, oh so nervous! Loving and loving without getting any response can be destructive to anyone. It is a thousand deaths every time.

Love is not sustained by hope but by wishes. There’s a difference. No matter how perverse, people suffering from unrequited love try to get out of it while secretly wishing that there is a sign somewhere to show it isn’t hopeless. In desperation, they can even imagine signs if only to remain sane.

How can you love a brick wall? A dead end? A slavery without any sign of salvation? How foolish! How unreasonable! Unfortunately, how human too!

"Why won’t he or she love me? What is wrong with me?", scattered thoughts echoing such pain are not exactly abnormal। Even the best-looking, best-hearted people can’t always expect others to love them back। Why? People sometimes need to feel unloved by everyone so that they learn to love themselves.

There is nothing wrong with unrequited love. It happens all the time. I won’t delude you into thinking that if he or she can’t love you back, he or she is not worth it. In fact, believe that this person is. That he or she is worth it all: the headaches, the anxiety, and the embarrassment. This sounds funny but the world is round for a reason.

We are all part of a circle. If you love her/him and she/he loves someone else, just think of whom you’re hurting by loving her/him. It’s a cycle. Whose love are you not returning?

I know we can love deeply, tenderly and lastingly. I have seen such love and I have felt such love myself. I learned that, aside from love and trust, a fulfilling relationship begins when two people make their time together their number one priority. If we hope to find love, we must first find time for loving. Many couples experienced a tragic moment together that taught them to value their time together.

I used to ask myself where the love between थिस person and I had gone. Maybe it’s because we forgot that we are the ones who make it. Love was not out there. It was somewhere between us and we failed to see it. People really do change. Our hurtful and infantile arguments illustrated how we, instead of looking for love, looked for flaws instead. That instead of finding reasons to love deeper, we found reasons to drift away. We spent the relationship struggling to change each other’s minds and realized it a little too late.

We must accept the realities around the circumstances and learn to accept different points of view. थिस person became my eye-opener. But at least I was made to believe in love and trust. I have felt so much pain during ठाट relationship. It was hard to accept that I have loved someone who stopped loving me.

Now, I couldn’t help but ask myself why I no longer believe in love and trust. Why can’t I give myself a chance to be in love again? Maybe I’m just too scared. Or perhaps, maybe because I have been waiting for a perfect moment, a perfect someone, and a perfect me. Maybe because I have always felt that beliefs ought to be perfect.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, loving without being loved back is the best thing to do because feeling so much pain, I learn to heal; knowing so much fear, I learn to stand up, carrying so much sadness, I learn to glorify in joy.

Love is not destroyed by a single failure or won by a single caress. It is a lifetime venture in which we’re always learning, discovering and growing. Lastly, this may be a cliché but there is someone who is right for you (and maybe for me), and even if she/he is not, he/she would still be right because loving doesn’t make sense until you accept it and make it real.

2 comments:

  1. you are definetely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our lives we always try to find that someone who could fill our emptiness. We search…..we wait…..sometimes we even dare ask someone to be that special one. And yet, I cannot decipher why we run away from that someone the moment we find him. Fear starts to creep in the moment we realized we are sailing on the vastness ocean of love. And with that fear arouse many questions and uncertainties in our humanness. We grope for answers not realizing we are building walls between ourselves and that significant one. Because we yearn to break away from that fear we find ourselves wanting another love….we find ourselves helpless unless we are in someone else’s love…. We expect to see stars twinkling in a fool moon.

    Can unconditional love really falter?

    What will happen to the love that knows no boundaries? What will happen to the love that will move mountains? What will happen to the love that has once promised to be there for one another through thick and thin? What will happen to a heart that has become the happiest place on earth?

    More often than not, because of our desire to connect to another entity, we do everything to please both ourselves and that significant one. We build our world around that person hoping to make him feel special. But after sometime, we reached a point in our lives when we are consumed by the world around us. Tired of the rejections we had been through…..tired of hoping fairy tales will come true…. we unconsciously give in to the wrath of the external world. Then, in an instant we realized how barren we become! We do things which may lead us to uncertainties and we failed to realize that in doing so, we actually are inflicting pain not to anybody else but to ourselves. I have seen people ran away from their significant one because they have set unrealistic expectations from the ones they love. It saddens me to think that we sometimes throw so much over so little.

    Sometimes, we asked ourselves what could still be worst than being bruised and pained or even worst being wounded and left alone again and again by this thing called love. Why can we not learn from the hurt caused by the passed? How can we be so feeble and helpless no matter how hard we tried to pretend to be strong and tough? When can we say enough is enough, love had inflicted so much pain that we can bear? And yet…we always find ourselves giving in to love again and again even if it means being at risk to be hurt after being wounded by love.

    Slowly, things will become clearer and we realized how lost we are! In desperations we start searching for answers even ourselves cannot fathom hoping to justify our actions. We try to look back and begin to ask “what if.”

    How mysterious! How bizarre!

    There might be so much pain to bear by a failed love….there might be questions left unanswered….the wound might be so deep to heal….but isn’t it love is supposed to cause us pain so we can see its essence? The healing may take sometime and we are not even sure how it will happen. But one thing I know is for sure…LOVE FAILS BUT IT FORGIVES…..AND IT BEGINS AGAIN…….

    ReplyDelete